The best tablet for DJI drones is the iPad Pro. The iPad Pro has a large screen that is perfect for viewing drone footage and making adjustments to your flight plan.
It also has a powerful processor that can handle the demands of DJI’s flight control app. And lastly, the iPad Pro has a long battery life that will keep you flying for hours. If you are looking for a great tablet to use with your DJI drone, then be sure to check out the iPad Pro.
Tablet vs Phone
When it comes to using a mobile device to fly a DJI drone, there are two main options: a tablet or a phone. Tablets tend to have larger screens than phones, which makes them better for viewing photos and videos from the drone.
They also tend to have faster processors and longer battery lives than phones.
Phones, on the other hand, are usually more portable and often fit better in a standard RC controller’s grip (although some tablet controllers are available). Depending on your needs you may want to choose one over the other.
For most flyers we recommend using a tablet because they offer superior video viewing experiences. If you need something that is lightweight and easy to carry with you wherever you go then you should probably stick to using your phone.
Tablets come in all shapes and sizes so it can be hard to know which one is best for flying a drone. We’ve broken down this question by listing the some of the features you should look for when choosing a new tablet.
Check out these best-selling tablets on Amazon:
- PC PERFORMANCE. TABLET PORTABILITY: Transform your tablet into a PC experience with DeX mode and the optional keyboard¹ with expanded trackpad. (Keyboard sold separately)
- ENTERTAINMENT, UPGRADED: Experience cinematic viewing in your hands with larger edge-to-edge displays, TFT LCD screen and quad speakers tuned by AKG with Dolby Atmos surround sound.
- REDESIGNED S PEN INCLUDED: With improved 9ms pen latency, the redesigned S Pen can control presentations, take notes and mark up papers effortlessly.
- Big Screen, Big Experience: A Large 12.4 Inch Display Brings Your Content To Life In Brilliant Color Whether Indoors Or Outdoors, Making Samsung Galaxy S7 Fe A Great Tablet For Study Time Or For A Quick Entertainment Break
- Bold Colors, Bold Statement: Choose A Bold Color – Mystic Black, Mystic Green, Mystic Silver Or Mystic Pink — That Makes It Unmistakably Yours
- Write, Draw, Clip, Tap With S Pen: Take Notes In Class, Sketch Out An Idea Or Even Doodle With The Included S Pen*, Featuring A Responsive New Design That Feels Closer To Pen On Paper Than Ever Before
- ✅[High-performance Tablet PC] Android 10.0 Tablet, rid of unexpected ads and have Full access to Google Play; 2GB RAM and Quad-Core Processor speed up multitasking.
- ✅[Free From Memory Anxiety] Okaysea Tablet loaded with 2GB RAM & 32GB ROM exanadable storage (up to 128GB).
- ✅[Long Battery Life] 10-Inch Tablet With a 6000mAh Ultra-large battery, allows to enjoy up to 8 hours It is a really good companion for your leisure and entertainment.
- Fast and responsive - powerful octa-core processor and 3 GB RAM. 50% more RAM than previous generation.
- Long-lasting 12-hour battery and 32 or 64 GB internal storage. Add up to 1 TB with microSD (sold separately).
- Brighter display - Vivid 10.1" 1080p Full HD display is 10% brighter than previous generation, with more than 2 million pixels.
- 8" HD display, 2X the storage (32 or 64 GB of internal storage and up to 1 TB with microSD card) + 2 GB RAM. 10th generation (2020 release).
- All-day battery life - Up to 12 hours of reading, browsing the web, watching videos, and listening to music.
- Now with USB-C for easier charging. Fully charges in under 5 hours (with included cable + adapter).
- 【Excellent Performance】：This tablet PC runs on the latest Android 10.0 operating system, quad-core processor up to 1.6GHz and has 2GB RAM, 32GB ROM and exanadable storage (up to 128GB).
- 【10 inch IPS HD Display】: This 10 inch tablet computer uses a 1280*800 HD IPS display. Through using reading mode to watch comfortably at night which can automatically adjust and optimize the backlight to protect your eyes.
- 【Long Battery Life】: Tablet equipped with a 6000mAh built-in rechargeable battery, enables about 8 hours mixed use when travelling, reading e-books, listening to music, or watching a movie.
- 【Excellent Performance】---This Google Tablet CP10 Featuring with Powerful Quad-core SC7731E, 1.3 GHz CPU, 2GB RAM and Newest Android 10.0 Operating System. Ensure Faster and more Responsive Using Experience for Quick APP Launches, Smooth Light...
- 【Great View and More Responsive】---This 10'' Tablet Pad Adopts a 1280 x 800 IPS HD Display, Presenting a Bright Display with Vivid Colors for a more True-to-life Viewing experience, Brings you a Crisper and Brighter image. Featuring with 10.0"...
- 【More Functional】---Front 2.0 Mega pixel, Back 8.0 Mega pixel camera with Flash Light, Support Bluetooth, Built-in GPS, 32GB Storage, 1080P Videos. Meets Reading, Photograph, videos, Music, etc. Suitable for Most Life Scenarios.
Most tablets are used mostly at home or in the office, so they aren’t designed for maximum portability. If you plan to fly your drone mainly on vacation or out in nature looking for cool video shots, then you’ll probably want something more lightweight and durable.
Tablet screens are also often very reflective which makes them hard to see on sunny days. Some tablets have built-in glare reduction measures but these may negatively affect viewing clarity and image sharpness even during overcast conditions.
Most people use tablets while sitting at their desk or on their couch at home, so screen size doesn’t matter very much.
However, if you enjoy taking your tablet with you wherever you go, then screen size will become more important. Phones often have smaller screens than tablets, making them less comfortable to use for extended periods of time.
The faster the processor (in terms of GHz) the better the overall performance of the tablet. This includes smoother video playback and reduced lag when using DJI’s flight planning app.
Many cheap phones are still stuck on older versions of Android that cannot keep up with newer apps like DJI Go 4, so they can be frustrating to fly with (this is especially true if you plan to fly DJI’s Phantom 3 Standard, Advanced, or Professional).
The iPad Pro has one of the fastest processors available which allows it to handle demanding apps like DJI Go 4 with ease.
The battery life of your tablet can make or break an enjoyable flying session, especially if you are planning on taking it outdoors where there is no electrical outlet nearby.
All tablets have rechargeable batteries that tend to provide about 6-8 hours of juice per charge cycle. Be sure to consider this when purchasing a tablet so you don’t run out of power in the middle of your flight!
Tablet Brands For Drones
Apple iPads are known for their long battery lives, premium metal design, beautiful retina displays, and blazing fast processors. Their light weight makes them very portable compared to most other tablets.
The iPad Mini 4 is by far the best small tablet if you want something compact but still powerful enough to fly with. If you’re looking for something bigger then the iPad Air 2 is still one of the smallest tablets available with a 10 inch screen size.
Android tablets are usually made up of cheaper materials, have poor battery life, and are unable to keep up with DJI’s newest apps. However, they continue to improve every year. There are two Android tablets that stand out from the rest due to their speed, durability, and low prices.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is by far the best Android tablet available for under $400. It has a beautiful 9.7 inch retina display with one of the fastest processors currently available on any tablet (the Exynos 5433).
The Asus ZenPad S 8.0 is a smaller, cheaper alternative to the iPad Mini 4 that still has some great features like an all-metal design and a powerful Snapdragon 650 processor.
There is no one “best” tablet for flying drones. It really depends on what your needs and wants are as a pilot. We hope that this article was able to give you some insight into the different types of tablets available and what features to look for when choosing your next tablet.