The best tablet for DJI drones is the iPad Pro. The iPad Pro has a large screen that is perfect for viewing drone footage and making adjustments to your flight plan.
It also has a powerful processor that can handle the demands of DJI’s flight control app. And lastly, the iPad Pro has a long battery life that will keep you flying for hours. If you are looking for a great tablet to use with your DJI drone, then be sure to check out the iPad Pro.
Tablet vs Phone
When it comes to using a mobile device to fly a DJI drone, there are two main options: a tablet or a phone. Tablets tend to have larger screens than phones, which makes them better for viewing photos and videos from the drone.
They also tend to have faster processors and longer battery lives than phones.
Phones, on the other hand, are usually more portable and often fit better in a standard RC controller’s grip (although some tablet controllers are available). Depending on your needs you may want to choose one over the other.
For most flyers we recommend using a tablet because they offer superior video viewing experiences. If you need something that is lightweight and easy to carry with you wherever you go then you should probably stick to using your phone.
Tablets come in all shapes and sizes so it can be hard to know which one is best for flying a drone. We’ve broken down this question by listing the some of the features you should look for when choosing a new tablet.
Check out these best-selling tablets on Amazon:
- A Certified Refurbished Fire HD 10 Tablet is refurbished, tested, and certified to look and work like new and comes with the same limited warranty as a new device.
- 10.1" 1080p full HD display; 32 or 64 GB of internal storage (add up to 512 GB with microSD)
- Now 30% faster thanks to the new 2.0 GHz octa-core processor and 2 GB of RAM
- A Screen Everyone Will Love: Whether your family is streaming or video chatting with friends, the Galaxy Tab A8 tablet brings out the best in every moment on a 10.5" LCD screen
- Power and Storage for All: Get the power, storage and speed your family needs with an upgraded chipset and plenty of room to keep files — up to 128GB of storage; A long-lasting battery lets you go unplugged for hours to keep the family fun going
- Charge Fast, Power for Hours: Go for hours on a single charge* and back to 100% with the fast charging USB C port; *Battery life may vary depending on network environment, usage patterns and other factors
- Renewed products look and work like new. These pre-owned products have been inspected and tested by Amazon-qualified suppliers, which typically perform a full diagnostic test, replacement of any defective parts, and a thorough cleaning process....
- A8X Chip with 64-bit Architecture; M8 Motion Coprocessor
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac): 16 GB Capacity: 2GB RAM
- POWERFUL PROCESSOR AND BLISTERING PERFORMANCE -- The octa-core processor with frequency of up to 1.6 GHz and 3GB RAM gives you higher performance than quad-core processor while consuming less power, making the devices capable and efficient.Its...
- 10'' STUNNING IPS DISPLAY -- The HAOVM P10 tablet featuring with a wide and stunning 800*1280 IPS display, which presents a bright display with more abundant colors and more delicate picture quality from all angles. so you can watch your favorite...
- QUICK CHARGING AND LONG BATTERY LIFE -- The battery will last for 7 - 8 hours when fully charged, it will do just about anything you need, whether it is watching videos, online shopping, taking pictures, playing games or browsing the web. Hours of...
- The Entertainment Goes Where You Go: With Its Compact 8.7” Screen, Slim Design And Sturdy Metal Frame, Galaxy Tab A7 Lite Is Perfectly Sized For Entertainment On The Go
- Study Frame For Lasting Protection:Galaxy Tab A7 Lite Features An Upgraded Metal Frame That Helps Protect Against Everyday Hiccups
- Two Months Of Ad-Free Video Fun: Keep Everyone In The Family Entertained With Two Months Of Free Youtube Premium For Hours And Hours Of Ad-Free Fun
- 7" IPS display; 16 or 32 GB of internal storage (add up to 512 GB with microSD)
- Faster 1.3 GHz quad-core processor
- Up to 7 hours of reading, browsing the web, watching video, and listening to music
- ★【All-new Android 11】Fullant TP1036 Tablet runs the newest Android 11 GO system, with a powerful 64-bit quad-core processor reaching up to 1.6GHz.
- ★【10.4" Ultra-narrow Bezel】Our android 11 tablet uses a 1332*800 brilliant HD IPS display, with perfect arc and only 8.9 mm ultra-narrow bezel slim design interprets our pursuit of beauty and technology.
- ★【Large Storage Space】Our 10.4 inch android tablet with 2GB RAM, 32GB storage, which is expandable up to 128GB using the microSD slot. Which can fully meet the daily learning and entertainment use. Large storage allowing you to download...
Most tablets are used mostly at home or in the office, so they aren’t designed for maximum portability. If you plan to fly your drone mainly on vacation or out in nature looking for cool video shots, then you’ll probably want something more lightweight and durable.
Tablet screens are also often very reflective which makes them hard to see on sunny days. Some tablets have built-in glare reduction measures but these may negatively affect viewing clarity and image sharpness even during overcast conditions.
Most people use tablets while sitting at their desk or on their couch at home, so screen size doesn’t matter very much.
However, if you enjoy taking your tablet with you wherever you go, then screen size will become more important. Phones often have smaller screens than tablets, making them less comfortable to use for extended periods of time.
The faster the processor (in terms of GHz) the better the overall performance of the tablet. This includes smoother video playback and reduced lag when using DJI’s flight planning app.
Many cheap phones are still stuck on older versions of Android that cannot keep up with newer apps like DJI Go 4, so they can be frustrating to fly with (this is especially true if you plan to fly DJI’s Phantom 3 Standard, Advanced, or Professional).
The iPad Pro has one of the fastest processors available which allows it to handle demanding apps like DJI Go 4 with ease.
The battery life of your tablet can make or break an enjoyable flying session, especially if you are planning on taking it outdoors where there is no electrical outlet nearby.
All tablets have rechargeable batteries that tend to provide about 6-8 hours of juice per charge cycle. Be sure to consider this when purchasing a tablet so you don’t run out of power in the middle of your flight!
Tablet Brands For Drones
Apple iPads are known for their long battery lives, premium metal design, beautiful retina displays, and blazing fast processors. Their light weight makes them very portable compared to most other tablets.
The iPad Mini 4 is by far the best small tablet if you want something compact but still powerful enough to fly with. If you’re looking for something bigger then the iPad Air 2 is still one of the smallest tablets available with a 10 inch screen size.
Android tablets are usually made up of cheaper materials, have poor battery life, and are unable to keep up with DJI’s newest apps. However, they continue to improve every year. There are two Android tablets that stand out from the rest due to their speed, durability, and low prices.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is by far the best Android tablet available for under $400. It has a beautiful 9.7 inch retina display with one of the fastest processors currently available on any tablet (the Exynos 5433).
The Asus ZenPad S 8.0 is a smaller, cheaper alternative to the iPad Mini 4 that still has some great features like an all-metal design and a powerful Snapdragon 650 processor.
There is no one “best” tablet for flying drones. It really depends on what your needs and wants are as a pilot. We hope that this article was able to give you some insight into the different types of tablets available and what features to look for when choosing your next tablet.