The best tablet for DJI drones is the iPad Pro. The iPad Pro has a large screen that is perfect for viewing drone footage and making adjustments to your flight plan.
It also has a powerful processor that can handle the demands of DJI’s flight control app. And lastly, the iPad Pro has a long battery life that will keep you flying for hours. If you are looking for a great tablet to use with your DJI drone, then be sure to check out the iPad Pro.
Tablet vs Phone
When it comes to using a mobile device to fly a DJI drone, there are two main options: a tablet or a phone. Tablets tend to have larger screens than phones, which makes them better for viewing photos and videos from the drone.
They also tend to have faster processors and longer battery lives than phones.
Phones, on the other hand, are usually more portable and often fit better in a standard RC controller’s grip (although some tablet controllers are available). Depending on your needs you may want to choose one over the other.
For most flyers we recommend using a tablet because they offer superior video viewing experiences. If you need something that is lightweight and easy to carry with you wherever you go then you should probably stick to using your phone.
Tablets come in all shapes and sizes so it can be hard to know which one is best for flying a drone. We’ve broken down this question by listing the some of the features you should look for when choosing a new tablet.
Check out these best-selling tablets on Amazon:
- Fast and responsive - powerful octa-core processor and 3 GB RAM. 50% more RAM than previous generation.
- Long-lasting 12-hour battery and 32 or 64 GB internal storage. Add up to 1 TB with microSD (sold separately).
- Brighter display - Vivid 10.1" 1080p Full HD display is 10% brighter than previous generation, with more than 2 million pixels.
- Renewed products look and work like new. These pre-owned products have been inspected and tested by Amazon-qualified suppliers, which typically perform a full diagnostic test, replacement of any defective parts, and a thorough cleaning process....
- A8X Chip with 64-bit Architecture; M8 Motion Coprocessor
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac): 16 GB Capacity: 2GB RAM
- 【Android 11, 128GB of Expandable】 7 inch tablet use the latest Android 11.0 OS, 3GB+32GB, Can be expanded up to 512GB via TF card, ensures you have an ultra-smooth gaming and speedy multimedia using experience, delivering quick app launches
- 【Google GMS Certified】 The android tablet has passed the GMS certification and Pre-installed Google Play, You have full access to the latest Google service, such as Google Play, WhatsApp, G-mail, Skype, Disney+, Netflix, Twitter, YouTube, Tiktok,...
- 【Long-lasting Battery Life】This 7 inch Android Tablet equipped with 3000 mAh battery with a 1024 x 600 brilliant HD IPS display, can provides more than 6 hours of mixed-use.
- 【Strong and High-Performance Processor】--This smart Android tablet is equipped with a powerful Android 11.0 system, The powerful processor makes the apps run faster and smoother, offers you a quick and fluent experience of entertainment. Tablet...
- 【Huge Capacity Storage】--This Google tablet is equipped with 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM, supports 128G capacity expansion, includes a micro SD slot, lightweight but excellent, allows you to download a large number of applications from Google Play Store...
- 【Long Battery Life】 Powered by a 6000mAh battery, the 10” tablet can stand by for up to 15 days and play video for up to 5 hours. Easily charge via the USB Type-C port and rest assured the battery will last. Video chat or snap selfies on the...
- LIGHT AND PORTABLE: With its compact 8.7” screen, slim design and sturdy metal frame, Galaxy Tab A7 Lite tablet is perfectly sized for entertainment on the go; Easy for everyone to carry and travel with, especially kids
- LASTING PROTECTION: This device features an upgraded metal frame that helps protect against everyday hiccups; It's made to be durable so your tablet keeps working even when handled by children’s accident-prone hands
- FASTER PERFORMANCE: Galaxy Tab A7 Lite has faster speed than previous models for smooth streaming with minimal interruptions for work, school or play; Also packs more expandable storage than before — up to 1TB, almost 2x as much as the previous...
- 8" HD display, 2X the storage (32 or 64 GB of internal storage and up to 1 TB with microSD card) + 2 GB RAM. 10th generation (2020 release).
- All-day battery life - Up to 12 hours of reading, browsing the web, watching videos, and listening to music.
- Now with USB-C for easier charging. Fully charges in under 5 hours (with included cable + adapter).
- 【High-performance Tablet PC】 Runs on Android 11.0 operating system and has 2GB RAM & 32GB ROM (supports microSD storage up to 512GB).
- 【HD IPS display】 8" Tablet 1280*800 HD IPS display with vivid colors and the reading mode backlight automatically adjusts to reduce eye fatigue.
- 【Long-Lasting Battery Life】Equipped with 4300mAh battery life, up to 8 hours. Micro USB that you can connect to PC and other devices for charging, allows you to browse web, watch TV show, online class, which provides a great viewing experience...
Most tablets are used mostly at home or in the office, so they aren’t designed for maximum portability. If you plan to fly your drone mainly on vacation or out in nature looking for cool video shots, then you’ll probably want something more lightweight and durable.
Tablet screens are also often very reflective which makes them hard to see on sunny days. Some tablets have built-in glare reduction measures but these may negatively affect viewing clarity and image sharpness even during overcast conditions.
Most people use tablets while sitting at their desk or on their couch at home, so screen size doesn’t matter very much.
However, if you enjoy taking your tablet with you wherever you go, then screen size will become more important. Phones often have smaller screens than tablets, making them less comfortable to use for extended periods of time.
The faster the processor (in terms of GHz) the better the overall performance of the tablet. This includes smoother video playback and reduced lag when using DJI’s flight planning app.
Many cheap phones are still stuck on older versions of Android that cannot keep up with newer apps like DJI Go 4, so they can be frustrating to fly with (this is especially true if you plan to fly DJI’s Phantom 3 Standard, Advanced, or Professional).
The iPad Pro has one of the fastest processors available which allows it to handle demanding apps like DJI Go 4 with ease.
The battery life of your tablet can make or break an enjoyable flying session, especially if you are planning on taking it outdoors where there is no electrical outlet nearby.
All tablets have rechargeable batteries that tend to provide about 6-8 hours of juice per charge cycle. Be sure to consider this when purchasing a tablet so you don’t run out of power in the middle of your flight!
Tablet Brands For Drones
Apple iPads are known for their long battery lives, premium metal design, beautiful retina displays, and blazing fast processors. Their light weight makes them very portable compared to most other tablets.
The iPad Mini 4 is by far the best small tablet if you want something compact but still powerful enough to fly with. If you’re looking for something bigger then the iPad Air 2 is still one of the smallest tablets available with a 10 inch screen size.
Android tablets are usually made up of cheaper materials, have poor battery life, and are unable to keep up with DJI’s newest apps. However, they continue to improve every year. There are two Android tablets that stand out from the rest due to their speed, durability, and low prices.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is by far the best Android tablet available for under $400. It has a beautiful 9.7 inch retina display with one of the fastest processors currently available on any tablet (the Exynos 5433).
The Asus ZenPad S 8.0 is a smaller, cheaper alternative to the iPad Mini 4 that still has some great features like an all-metal design and a powerful Snapdragon 650 processor.
There is no one “best” tablet for flying drones. It really depends on what your needs and wants are as a pilot. We hope that this article was able to give you some insight into the different types of tablets available and what features to look for when choosing your next tablet.