The team of researchers worked on simulating how air flows around a drone propeller. They then used this information to create a new design for the blades that would be more effective in muffling the noise.
The result of their work is a set of ‘Scalloped’ blades that have a unique shape and are much quieter than traditional propellers. The tests conducted by the team showed that the Scalloped blades reduced noise levels by up to 55%.
Those who are looking to purchase a quieter drone can look into the DJI Mavic Pro. The latest model from this manufacturer has a noise reduction system built in that can tone down its sound output by up to 4 decibels.
How to Reduce Drone Sound Step by Step
Always Wear Ear Protection
One of the easiest ways to reduce drone sound is by wearing ear protection, preferably something sturdy and comfortable like this set . The FAA considers drone flights over people as a commercial activity.
This means that you have to have an official waiver or permission to operate your UAV in most states. If you are unaware if your state requires this for small drones, take a look at the laws here . It’s always better to be safe than sorry!
Find Quieter Areas for Drone Flights
Another effective way to reduce noise from drones is by making sure their rotors are not exposed to windy conditions when they lift off (or land) on their own. Most consumer drones can ascend up to 400 feet, so try to find an open area with little or no obstructions where you can operate your device in peace.
Use a Noise Reduction System
Many newer drones come equipped with noise reduction systems that help to dampen the sound of the rotors as they spin. If you are looking to purchase a new drone, make sure to do your research and see if the model you are interested in has this feature. The DJI Mavic Pro is one such example that comes equipped with a noise reduction system .
Utilize Scalloped Blades
- For: Hubsan X4 H107
- Fast Free Shipping From the USA!
- Expedited Shipping Options Available!
- Propeller Blade Compatible with 901S 901H 901HS Mini Quadcopter Drone Z2HC Mini Drone
- Propeller Blade Compatible with Holy HS190 HS190W Quadcopter HS190 Foldable Mini RC Drone
- Propeller Blade Compatible with E61HW E61H X300C Mini Drone RC Nano Quadcopter 4DRC V2 Foldable Mini Drone
- AB propeller blades are suitable for brushed motors 614 615 620 714 716 720
- Propellers have positive and negative points, one blade with A, the other with B
- The black propellers are well-made and well-balanced. 5 sets of 20 pieces per pack
- Propeller Blades for: Hubsan X4 H107 ; Color : Black and Green
- Propellers Protection Cover : First: Please remove the propellers ;Second: Put on the Guard Cover to you X4 H107D H107C;Third: Put on the propellers to you X4 H107C h107D again.
- Propeller Blades Also Compatible With: Any other custom application you can dream up!
- Replace your broken or damaged blades for easier maneuverability and more stable flying experience
- High quality material, flexibility and wing stability.
- Great to have on hand for easier replacement of the propellers when learning to fly
The latest development from Stanford University and NASA is a set of scalloped blades that have been designed specifically to reduce aircraft noise levels by up to 55%. These blades are currently only available for large drones, but we expect to see their availability grow in the near future. You can read more about this development and view a video of the blades in action here.
Make Your Own Drone Quieter
If you are looking to reduce drone sound without spending too much money, one way is by partially disassembling your device and making some changes on your own. Here’s a couple of links that go into detail about how you can do that: How to Reduce Camera Sound from Drones How To Reduce Motor Noise from Quadcopters Every little bit helps when it comes to noise reduction and if you follow these steps closely, we’re sure you will be able to fly yourAV in peace!
Is there anything I can do to make my own drone quieter?
Yes, you can partially disassemble your drone and make some changes on your own. See the two links above for more information.
What is the maximum noise level that a drone is allowed to produce?
The maximum noise level that a drone is allowed to produce varies depending on the state. For more information, please see this FAA link .
Are there any states that don’t require drones to have waivers or permissions?
There are a few states that don’t require drones to have waivers or permissions, but they are in the minority. For a full of states and their requirements, please see this FAA link .
Can I travel with my drone on a plane?
You can, but there are specific rules you must follow depending on the size of your drone.
What is noise reduction and how does it work?
Noise reduction reduces the overall noise level of your aircraft.
How much quieter do drones get overtime?
Depending on which model you purchase and if they release new versions, your UAV’s sound output could change significantly over time. Here’s an example of two Phantom models whose sound outputs have changed drastically since release. This may not be typical across all UAV models and brands. There is no definitive answer to this question.
What is the difference between a drone and an UAV?
A drone is a type of UAV, which stands for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. All drones are UAVs, but not all UAVs are drones.
Is it illegal to fly my drone in certain areas?
It is important to check the laws in your state before flying your drone as many states have specific regulations regarding their use. For more information, please see this FAA link .