The team of researchers worked on simulating how air flows around a drone propeller. They then used this information to create a new design for the blades that would be more effective in muffling the noise.
The result of their work is a set of ‘Scalloped’ blades that have a unique shape and are much quieter than traditional propellers. The tests conducted by the team showed that the Scalloped blades reduced noise levels by up to 55%.
Those who are looking to purchase a quieter drone can look into the DJI Mavic Pro. The latest model from this manufacturer has a noise reduction system built in that can tone down its sound output by up to 4 decibels.
How to Reduce Drone Sound Step by Step
Always Wear Ear Protection
One of the easiest ways to reduce drone sound is by wearing ear protection, preferably something sturdy and comfortable like this set . The FAA considers drone flights over people as a commercial activity.
This means that you have to have an official waiver or permission to operate your UAV in most states. If you are unaware if your state requires this for small drones, take a look at the laws here . It’s always better to be safe than sorry!
Find Quieter Areas for Drone Flights
Another effective way to reduce noise from drones is by making sure their rotors are not exposed to windy conditions when they lift off (or land) on their own. Most consumer drones can ascend up to 400 feet, so try to find an open area with little or no obstructions where you can operate your device in peace.
Use a Noise Reduction System
Many newer drones come equipped with noise reduction systems that help to dampen the sound of the rotors as they spin. If you are looking to purchase a new drone, make sure to do your research and see if the model you are interested in has this feature. The DJI Mavic Pro is one such example that comes equipped with a noise reduction system .
Utilize Scalloped Blades
- COMPATIBILITY: Please note that this propellers are only compatible with DJI Mini 2 / Mini SE / Mini 2 SE Drone. (These are NOT original blades, please use our screws when installing the blades)
- LOW NOISE DESIGN: With lighter weight and low noise design, this propeller group will make your Mavic Mini drone fly more stable and quiet.
- MORE POWERFUL: The blade is small in shape, and after precise dynamic balance test, it provides strong power for drone and ensures longer endurance of drone.
- 4 types of AB-type mini propellers for your choice, one side A, the other side B, suitable for small and medium miniature remote control flying class, the center hole has 0.8mm 0.03 inches and 1.0mm 0.04 inches, the blade length is 46mm/1.8" 42 mm...
- drone propeller 0.8 mm AB propellers have positive and negative distinctions. Identical installations correspond to intersecting lines. If the A side is installed on the B side, it will not fly. It needs to be readjusted. The size needs to be...
- mini drone propellers 0.8 mm Mini paddles, made of durable and lightweight nylon plastic, are well-made and well-balanced, the other Arabic numerals on the A and B paddles have no representative meaning, and the word AB on the paddles shall prevail
- Ab Forward And Reverse Propellers，Is Suitable For Motors With Shaft Diameter Of 0.8mm, Such As 614,615,716, Etc. Please Note That 716 Has Two Kinds Of Motors, One With Shaft Diameter Of 0.8mm And The Other With Shaft Diameter Of 1.0 Mm. Our Mini...
- Mini Propeller, Durable And Light，Made Of Nylon Material,Well-Made And Well-Balanced, Strong Toughness And Not Easy To Break. Mini Quadcopter Propellers
- Rc Aircraft Blades Quick Installation And Disassembly Without Using Other Tools. When Installing, You Need To Cross The Same Two Together. If The A Side Is Installed On The B Side, It Can'T Fly. It Needs To Be Readjusted And The Size Needs To Be The...
- The propeller is used for SJRC F11/F11Pro F24/F24Pro DE22/DE22Pro F35 UAV, new upgraded accessories, good quality, not easy to break, super durable
- Quick release design, easy to install and disassemble, foldable design, easy to carry, compact, delicate, light and easy to fly.
- The package includes 8PCS propeller, more spare parts, no need to worry about damage to the blades and the trouble that the drone cannot fly
- 【𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐛𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲】：Original Low-Noise propellers for Ruko F11 series drone.
- 【𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞】：These propellers are engineered with a special design to enhance aerodynamic efficiency, resulting in reduced noise output.
- 【𝐄𝐚𝐬𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐈𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐥】：These propellers' feature help with the quick release to help make replace quick and easy.
The latest development from Stanford University and NASA is a set of scalloped blades that have been designed specifically to reduce aircraft noise levels by up to 55%. These blades are currently only available for large drones, but we expect to see their availability grow in the near future. You can read more about this development and view a video of the blades in action here.
Make Your Own Drone Quieter
If you are looking to reduce drone sound without spending too much money, one way is by partially disassembling your device and making some changes on your own. Here’s a couple of links that go into detail about how you can do that: How to Reduce Camera Sound from Drones How To Reduce Motor Noise from Quadcopters Every little bit helps when it comes to noise reduction and if you follow these steps closely, we’re sure you will be able to fly yourAV in peace!
Is there anything I can do to make my own drone quieter?
Yes, you can partially disassemble your drone and make some changes on your own. See the two links above for more information.
What is the maximum noise level that a drone is allowed to produce?
The maximum noise level that a drone is allowed to produce varies depending on the state. For more information, please see this FAA link .
Are there any states that don’t require drones to have waivers or permissions?
There are a few states that don’t require drones to have waivers or permissions, but they are in the minority. For a full of states and their requirements, please see this FAA link .
Can I travel with my drone on a plane?
You can, but there are specific rules you must follow depending on the size of your drone.
What is noise reduction and how does it work?
Noise reduction reduces the overall noise level of your aircraft.
How much quieter do drones get overtime?
Depending on which model you purchase and if they release new versions, your UAV’s sound output could change significantly over time. Here’s an example of two Phantom models whose sound outputs have changed drastically since release. This may not be typical across all UAV models and brands. There is no definitive answer to this question.
What is the difference between a drone and an UAV?
A drone is a type of UAV, which stands for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. All drones are UAVs, but not all UAVs are drones.
Is it illegal to fly my drone in certain areas?
It is important to check the laws in your state before flying your drone as many states have specific regulations regarding their use. For more information, please see this FAA link .